Tracking users/sessions on the console

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Jan 28 14:05:30 PST 2006

On Saturday 28 January 2006 22:43, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 20:20 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Cutting to the chase, I'd like to include the ConsoleTracker service as
> > part of the system message bus, ideally in-process with the message bus
> > daemon. I realize that it's probably not possible to implement all of
> > the stuff I rambled about in my blog.. Mostly because we don't have any
> > way to determine what console session a method call stems from (we can
> > only get the uid and pid during socket auth) but I could be wrong?
>
> So.. thinking a bit more about this, how about this
>
>  1. Make each instance of a session bus register with the system bus
>     and specifically pass the address $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS. Could
>     have a fancy API to allow (privileged) users to list sessions and
>     even connect to a service on the session bus. Could be useful for
>     out-of-band information, e.g. requesting to put up dialogs and/or
>     notifications from system-level

Interesting idea.
A similar behaviour is currently possible with DCOP, i.e. a user can send
calls to all his/her sessions and root can send calls to all users, all
sessions.

This has been put to use for example by sysadmins to request session managers
to save and logout all sessions prior to a system reboot/shutdown

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>