Discovering services

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Thu Jul 6 16:37:42 PDT 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Tako Schotanus wrote:

>> If you are in a script editor or IDE style app and you are writing a remote
>> control script you might want to look at what services are avilable and
>> what interfaces/methods these have without activating them all.
>>
> Yes, but that doesn't address the problem of services that have no fixed
> object tree like the example I gave about the printer manager. It is even
> conceivable that the interface(s) supported by those objects is not known.

Most of the time though, the interfaces will be known, even if the
objects don't exist yet. For example, my program will expose one object
per {printer,file share,anything else}, none of which exist yet, but
they will export a standard interface. Certainly the Java bindings are
designed to have all the interfaces created at compile time.

I imagine developers would publish the introspection data for these
along with the documentation for the application. It would make sense to
have these available in a standard location at install time, but there's
no 'object' as such to declare them on.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson