Discovering services

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Sat Jul 8 05:24:41 PDT 2006

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Saturday 08 July 2006 00:58, Tako Schotanus wrote:
>

>> Ok, that would mean we're left with the static introspection info that
>> could somehow be stored with the service.
>>
>> But I agree with you that this might prove difficult as well because if
>> people have to generate that info themselves they will either a) not do
>> it, b) forget it, c) get it wrong (differences between the static info
>> and the actual interfaces for example).
>>

> I think if installing introspection data is not required but recommended, only
> (c) might be problematic.
> IMHO the main issue is to have an agreed on standard location and format where
> and how to store the documentation.

Well I've always said it should be required, but that's besides the
point ;-)
> For example command line applications are not required to install man pages,
> yet there is a known location where to look for them and some distributors
> even generate one if it is missing upstream.

Ok, so in your opinion this is just the same as installing man pages or
let's say the include files in a -devel package? They could be wrong as
well, but as long as you package them together it's your responsibility
to make sure that they are correct?

Ok, I see no problem with that, but is that what we're talking about here?

Maybe Jamie was right and I've misinterpreted what this thread was
about: weren't we discussing how to solve the problem of getting the
introspection data for unactivated services?

-Tako