Discovering services

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Jul 8 04:33:42 PDT 2006

On Saturday 08 July 2006 00:58, Tako Schotanus wrote:

> Ok, that would mean we're left with the static introspection info that
> could somehow be stored with the service.
>
> But I agree with you that this might prove difficult as well because if
> people have to generate that info themselves they will either a) not do
> it, b) forget it, c) get it wrong (differences between the static info
> and the actual interfaces for example).

I think if installing introspection data is not required but recommended, only
(c) might be problematic.
IMHO the main issue is to have an agreed on standard location and format where
and how to store the documentation.

For example command line applications are not required to install man pages,
yet there is a known location where to look for them and some distributors
even generate one if it is missing upstream.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>