dbus-glib - removing the generated bus method wrappers

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jul 24 23:20:20 PDT 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>  - installed files should be like from Introspect(), which differ from
>the .xml files people are using to generate e.g. glib bindings. i.e. we
>don't want the "code generation hints" crap about what to name the C
>functions, or really anything binding-specific, IMO for a variety of
>reasons.

It should be whatever the binding tool expects to generate proper code.
For instance, the Qt binding tool (dbusxml2cpp) requires a few extra
annotations when non-basic types are used. There are also some optional
annotations that may as well be present.

>  - every other "big directory o' text files" we ever specified ended up
>needing some type of binary cache ...

I don't expect it to happen for this one. It's supposed to be used for
development only.

>  - when should people use these and when should they use introspection?
>(my take: installed files are intended for "-devel packages" i.e. should
>not be expected to exist on a user's system, only for purposes of
>building static stuff)

We'll modify the qmake and cmake buildsystems to automatically search
those directories.

So, if you add a line like this in your .pro file:
INTERFACES += org.freedesktop.Project.Interface.xml

Or in your CMakeLists.txt file:
KDE_ADD_INTERFACE(org.freedesktop.Project.Interface)
(not sure I got the macro name right)

it'll automatically run the binding tool and create the header and .cpp
files necessary to using the interface with static code.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358