dbus-glib - removing the generated bus method wrappers

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Tue Jul 25 23:42:56 PDT 2006

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> What I'm wondering about is the other direction. I consider having to
> hand-write the xml files kind of sucky; if doing a binding, I would
> definitely go the route of the old dcop stuff and generate the xml files from
> source code, rather than vice versa.

Yup. What I'm going with atm is rather than document it with javadoc,
document it with annotations, since Java supports these and they are
around at runtime so they can be included in the runtime XML

> If you buy my claim that public APIs should never have generated code for a
> dbus interface in them, then generating docs from generated code does not
> seem all that useful to me.
>
> The use case I'd see for dbus interface docs would be in a dbus interface
> browser or similar tool. Or possibly for people just reading the xml files.

The use case is someone reading the API (which I think should be
generated from the XML then rendered in some fashion, or just reading
the XML equivelently) to implement a server or a client and not having
to founder around because there are no docs (which I've done several
times with dbus apps). Having a way to provide a short description
easily with your introspection data will help enormously in getting
people to actually write these.

Mayy

--
Matthew Johnson