Introspection support for server using the low-level API

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Tue Jun 6 13:54:38 PDT 2006

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> the upcoming D-Bus enabled Bluetooth server is using the low-level D-Bus
> API only. The choice for that is on purpose. However for the client we
> don't limit them and it is possible to use whatever is available. And to
> make the life of client application programmers easier, I want to add
> introspection support. Any hints or good documentation on how to do this
> with a server using the low-level API?

You have to have all of your objects respond to the Introspect method on
the org.freedesktop.DBus interface. Ideally they should also all reply to
org.freedesktop.DBus.Peer.Ping. You should probably also reply to
queries on partial paths (e.g. '/org' if you have an object '/org/Foo').
It's just another interface each object should implement.

Calling that method should return a string containing all the
introspection data for interfaces that object implements.

hth,

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson