Crash in _dbus_connection_block_pending_call

Timo Hoenig thoenig at suse.de
Fri Jun 9 06:59:41 PDT 2006

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 14:52 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> I need a better backtrace with debugging info.
> _dbus_connection_block_pending_call doesn't call
> _dbus_list_get_first_link directly.  I need to know the exact line it is
> crashing on in _dbus_connection_block_pending_call.  Please run NM in
> GDB with the debugging packages installed for dbus, glibc and NM.  Lets
> see if that gives us enough information.

As mentioned before it is very racy.  I can reproduce this only at boot
time.  Any hints on how to get a gdb backtrace with this are highly
appreciated.  Anyway, I've uploaded a trace which is a bit more verbose
[1].

Once the first invocation of
check_for_reply_and_update_dispatch_unlocked (line 2560 in
dbus-connection.c) is removed everything works as expected.  That's
basically the fix of the block on poll issue, isn't it?  Havoc suggested
to scan the message queue for a reply in [2].

Thanks,

   Timo

[1] NM log when crashing (verbose)
    http://nouse.net/misc/nm-trace-verbose

[2] Re: [TEST CASE] pending call stuck in poll bug
    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2006-March/004391.html