DBUS protocol on unix pipes?

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Sat Jun 10 12:51:22 PDT 2006

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 09:08:15PM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> >> You're not supposed to use internal functions.
> >
> >I know. But how to create the DBusConnection on top of an open
> >filedescriptor without using those internal functions?
>
> You're not.
>
> There's no guarantee that the underlying transport system uses file
> descriptors at all. So those functions are internal.
>
> If/when libdbus hides its symbols (think ELF visibility or Win32 DLLs),
> you will not be able to call those functions.

It already does hide all internal symbols - they're only visible if you
supply the "--enable-tests" flag to "configure", which is not typically
done on production builds. So, not only are they not recommended for
use, its *impossible* to link against any internal symbols in the library
in non-developer builds.

Regards,
Dan.