dbus and kde on terminalserver

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Wed Jun 14 04:33:53 PDT 2006

Wilhelm Meier wrote:
>we use a gentoo-box with hal/dbus support and kde (3.5.2) as a
> terminalserver. kde uses only the system message bus bus and therefore,
> if one of the users plug in an usb device, the will be the kde
> mount-popup-windows for all loged in users. How can I direct the
> messages to only one display?
>
>Will this be addressed in kde 4?

This is the wrong list to ask. You need to talk to the Solid developers.

>O.k., this scenario isn't very useful, but we want to use it in the
> future with gentoo-diskless-terminals. There we need to transport the
> client dbus messages to the server dbus to the right session. Is there
> a way to do that?

No, nor is it in our plans, AFAIK. You'll need to relay them yourself if
you need that.

But I don't see the point in accessing hardware information for hardware
that applications can't access. It only makes sense to have HAL for the
local system (even if "local system" means the remote server, not the
machine the user is sitting in front of).

>I read about remote messages in dbus. Is this already usable?

Yes, but it's not what you think. It means two applications can talk to
each other. Technically, it's also possible to have a session or a system
bus over TCP sockets, though.

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech ASA - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway