dbus and kde on terminalserver (and multiseat)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Wed Jun 14 06:53:05 PDT 2006

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 14. Juni 2006 13:30, schrieb Jakub Stachowski:
> Dnia środa, 14 czerwca 2006 11:18, Wilhelm Meier napisał:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we use a gentoo-box with hal/dbus support and kde (3.5.2) as a
> > terminalserver. kde uses only the system message bus bus and therefore,
> > if one of the users plug in an usb device, the will be the kde
> > mount-popup-windows for all loged in users. How can I direct the messages
> > to only one display?
> >
> > Will this be addressed in kde 4?
> >
> > O.k., this scenario isn't very useful, but we want to use it in the
> > future with gentoo-diskless-terminals.
>
> It is also useful in case where several people use the same machine and
> instead of logging out they switch between X servers (kde has session
> switching feature for some time now).

Another, more tricky case would be a multiseat setup (several users
concurrently directly at the same machine).

I think the only solution there would be a reservation mechanism. So a user
would have to reserve a device (drive for cd) or a bus (usb for camera) for
the next inserted media or added device which holds for a few minutes and
mounts with the rights of the user (and informs only her).

If devices have unique ids there could perhaps be a register which maps
devices/medias to users (cmp. fstab) so there is no need for manual
reservation (and gives media access control for free, so your kids will not
be able to play your rated dvds, at least as long as you control the os;).

> > There we need to transport the client dbus
> > messages to the server dbus to the right session. Is there a way to do
> > that?
>
> I think there is way to prevent application that is not on current console
> from receiving signals or messages. It should be enough to solve this
> problem.

But not the multiseat setup or with a terminal server and really thin clients.
So a more general solution would be very welcome in the long run, for sure by
me :)

Regards
Friedrich