dbus and kde on terminalserver

Joerg Barfurth Joerg.Barfurth at Sun.COM
Wed Jun 14 06:21:37 PDT 2006

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Wilhelm Meier wrote:
>> If the user plugs-in a device, the local hald on the thin-client sends
>> messages to the dbus of the thin-client, which are not recognized (there
>> is no session). Now, one could make the new device of the thin-client
>> available on the terminalserver, for instance via network-block-device.
>> In this case it would be useful to inform the session on the
>> terminalserver of the new device for the session.
>
> Then you need to have this:
> 1) the thin-client's HAL detect the new device
> 2) that HAL take action and notify the terminalserver of availability of
> that device
> 3) terminalserver and thin-client connect the device via network block
> device

1-3 are really the task of the thin-client/terminal-server system,
whichever it is.

> 4) terminalserver's HAL detects the new network block device
> 5) terminalserver's HAL informs ONLY the user session that there is a new
> device.

Yes. The problem here is that HAL would need to know the user session to
inform (and that is generally known only to the TS software). In some TS
systems such an event could even happen when there is no user session to
inform (just as you can plug a USB device into a normal box when noone
is logged in). And there may be listeners on the system bus that want to
know about the new device, but which are not user sessions, so the
"ONLY" is probably not correct either.

>> This would require that the kde-session, e.g., listens to the
>> session-bus, which is actually not the case, afaik. But I will ask the
>> kde-people for kde4.
>
> No. It requires a lot more work in HAL before anything even arrives to the
> mediamanager in KDE or any other high-level interface.

And before that it would require careful consideration of the
requirements (what should be dilivered to or suppressed from whom?).

>> The LTSP-people do something similar, but without using hal/dbus I
>> think.
>
> That's steps 2 and 3 that I listed above. It doesn't have to be D-BUS, but
> it could.

As I said. Steps 1,2,3 are the responsibility of the TS technology (LTSP
or others).

- Joerg

--
Joerg Barfurth              Sun Microsystems - Desktop - Hamburg
Software Engineer                         joerg.barfurth at sun.com
Thin Client Software