No Reply within specified time

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Jun 28 11:55:40 PDT 2006

Mark S. Townsley wrote:

> Can someone suggest a good way to debug this send problem?    I tried
> various things but running out of ideas.

Here are the steps to verbose-debug something:

$ dbus-daemon --session --print-address >/tmp/output 2>&1 &
$ head -1 /tmp/output
[should print the address of the bus just launched]
$ DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=[above address] bash
[launches a new shell using the bus that verbose logs to /tmp/output]
$ myapp

maybe this should be a dbus-launch feature, like
$ dbus-launch --verbose-output-file=/tmp/output bash

which would then let you run stuff from the bash, while looking at
verbose log spew in /tmp/output

But at least the steps to do it manually might be nice to add to the man
page, assuming I got them right ... I didn't test it.