Mono bindings

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Wed Mar 1 16:16:44 PST 2006

Hi,

Adam Lofts wrote:
> Sure, though is it not best to keep the low level wrappers in until an
> api which provides all required functionality is reached? The tarball
> wasn't intended to be a "release" and is not polished by any standards.
> Most of my effort so far has just been getting in all the functionality
> i require :)

Yeah, as long as it's the binding itself which requires them, that's
fine.  I don't have the code in front of me anymore now that I'm at
home, but it might be good to mark all the internal stuff (methods or
classes) as such.  You may have already done this though.

> It would be trivial to modify the constructor to ImportObject to accept
> a Connection and a service name instead of a service. All the service
> object really does is to bind a name and a connection. I.e.
>
> public static ImportObject Create (Service service, string target_path,
> Type [] ifaces)
>
> would become
>
> public static ImportObject Create (Connection connection, string
> service_name, string target_path, Type [] ifaces)

The service name shouldn't even be necessary here.  And I'd really drop
all "service" nomenclature; it's not a part of the dbus lexicon anymore.

I don't think the service name is necessary anyhow.  It really only
matters when taking to a bus; the bindings should also work when doing
peer-to-peer connections.

> I'm not sure I really understand what you are saying about introspection
> data. Do you mean generating new types based on introspection data?

When I said "introspection" what I really meant was "reflection."  As
in, System.Reflection.

Joe