Splitting out core and bindings final stages

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Fri May 5 03:54:21 PDT 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> The D-Bus repository layout -
>
> The core repository where we will have the initial import will be at
> git+ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/dbus/dbus-core
>
> The bindings will be found at
> git+ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/dbus/bindings/dbus-<binding name>
>
> Bindings being moved to new repositories:
> - python
> - glib
> - qt
> - qt3
> - mono
>
> Bindings being removed completely:
> - gcj
>
> Bindings we are adding:
> - None at this time.  We need to write up rules for inclusion.

I would like to add Java. It's not critical so could be put off until
after 1.0, otoh as a separate module it shouldn't impact much on
anything else. Does anyone know about perforce->git moves?

> The last mile-
>
> I expect it to take about a day or so.  At this point the maintainers
> and contributors should descend on all of the modules (I will take
> python) and create build environments and test suites (make check) for
> them.  Once that is done and the bindings stripped out of CVS I will
> build a 0.90 release of dbus which everyone should build a release of
> their bindings off of (feel free to version them how you see fit).  This
> will mark the last synchronous release of the core and bindings (until
> such a time that synchronous releases make sense again).
>
> An external test suite would be great. I will continue checking releases
> against the Glib and Python bindings but it would be great to have a
> script that got all the latest sources, built them and then ran cross
> binding tests.

I believe there was discussion about making this a Google Summer of Code
project through either KDE or GNOME. I'm considering applying to do one
of these and Thiago said he would mentor it if I did.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson
http://www.matthew.ath.cx/