C-API Examples

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed May 10 10:12:51 PDT 2006

William Lachance schrieb:
> On 5/8/06, Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker at freenet.de> wrote:
>
>> I recognized that some core tools like dbus-monitor uses the glib
>> mainloop. What does this means relating to the binding split from the
>> core ?
>> If glib will be a requirement for the core library, than on windows glib
>> will be a requirement for dbus, which would not be good at all.
>> If glib will not be a requirement, a dbus only mainloop has to be
>> implemented for unix and windows.
>
> dbus-monitor is a useful debugging tool, but it isn't required to get
> any of the
> core functionality going on Win32.
Hmh, I do not agree. When developer creates new dbus clients, a
monitoring tool will help very much to have a look under the hood.
> glib as a "developer only" dependancy doesn't
> sound that bad to me, given the effort involved in rewriting it to use
> the dbus-only
> mainloop. It's possible I don't understand the issues involved, however.
In this list it was announced, that the bindings. probably the glib
binding too, will be separated from the core. Unfortunally dbus-monitor
depends on the glib binding, which means, that either dbus-monitor has
to be moved into the glib binding or dbus-monitor get's a dbus based
main loop.

Ralf