unknown username root in message bus configuration file

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 3 05:18:19 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 12:50 +0000, paul mullen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I forgot my root password on Fedora and changed it via booting the
system
> using knoppix and mounting /dev/hda3 - changing /etc/passwd by
removing the
> x in the second column.
> I can now log in as root but get the following errors - unknown
username
> "root" in message bus configuration file - unknown username "0" in
messages
> bus configuration file. Can anyone tell me what has happened and how I
can
> resolve this problem?
>
> Many Thanks in Advance
>
> Paul

I'm not sure if this is the correct way to change, or disable a root
password.. There is a corresponding entry in /etc/shadow which actually
holds the password.

An easy way to reset the password properly - one I've not tried mind,
would be to boot off your knoppix cd, mount /dev/hda3 somewhere
then, as root from knoppix (via sudo or su), issue
"chroot /where/I/mounted/hda3"

You should now be the "root" user in your normal system, give or take.
You should be able to change the root password with the normal "passwd"
command.

Regards,

Peter Clifton