[ANNOUNCE] D-Bus 1.0 RC 2 (0.94) released

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Oct 14 15:29:10 PDT 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:
> The fix is easy though: the bus needs to run this on start-up
> and cache it in a file somewhere for future use.

(The main reason the daemon doesn't do the uuid generation is that how
it's done does depend somewhat on the setup - is /etc shared or
writable, does the system even use the system bus or just the session
bus, is the machine's identity stored on the network someplace, etc. -
so instead we provide a simple command that anyone doing system
integration can invoke as they see fit. We might want to put the uuidgen
in the init scripts that come with dbus though as a default setup.)

I did just realize that we forgot to make dbus-uuidgen run on "make
install", so builds from CVS/tarball won't quite work at the moment.

I wonder which distribution will be the first one to accidentally get
the machine uuid file in the file list of the package and thus have the
same id for all machines running that os ...