[rfc] The Big Picture

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Oct 27 08:56:00 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 11:14 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (No, you didn't include the list in the reply (and it's also bad form to
> move private mails to lists). Anyway, whatever.)
>
> In my opinion I'm not sure it's a good thing right now to make D-Bus
> depend on Upstart with the current concerns that a number of
> distributions (including at least Fedora) now have wrt. what Upstart
> really is cf. my previous mail. There's also some problems if Upstart
> starts depending on D-Bus but that's probably solvable.

D-Bus will never depend on an outside tool period.  It is designed to
run as a generic desktop bus on many platforms, not just Linux.

> If you or the Upstart team wants D-Bus or HAL teams to use Upstart for
> stating processes... then it would probably be good for them to explain
> why this is useful on their respective mailing lists. I'm not sure,
> being the HAL maintainer and a D-Bus developer, why it's desirable
> though and I don't think Upstart developers do either from what Scott
> said on this list a few weeks back.

Bigger picture views shouldn't go into a spiderweb of details on
specific technologies.  It should spell out the general goals of a
project with small bite sized sections where we can go down and talk
about details of implementation (D-Bus and HAL were spawned from such a
high level document).

> (The train kinda already left the station with D-bus though... I mean,
> with D-Bus 1.0 coming out RSN and all.)

True, D-Bus is concentrating on stability right now instead of flash in
the pan sexiness.