OLPC and .service files in a users home directory

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Oct 30 18:10:36 PST 2006

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> I went ahead and did the variable substitution method here.  Special
> characters need to be escaped so I had to change some of the valid
> config files to escape their & entities.  This is a half of a patch.
> I still need to deal with multiple directories in an atomic fashion.  If
> there is a consensus that xdg_relative="true" attribute is the better
> way to go then I can change the patch accordingly.  The only issue I
> have with xdg_relative="true" is that the system bus would be looking
> in /.local/dbus-1/service for no reason once we have activation there.
> I have an issue with sensitive services running through useless code
> even if it is just paranoia.

I think Thiago is right that there's probably no point allowing a
relative subdir, so just

<standard_session_bus_servicedirs/>

I think would be a good approach. In terms of implementation, it should
simply "expand" as if a list of standard <servicedir> had been manually
indicated.

I prefer this to <servicedir xdg=true/> because an attribute shouldn't
effectively change an element into a different element.

I would name it <standard_session_bus_servicedirs/> since for example
the xdg spec is not relevant on Windows, but there may still be some
standard session bus service dirs.