Problem Installing dbus-python files

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Sep 14 09:24:09 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 02:01 -0700, Leslie Katz wrote:
> I apologise in advance for the question I'm asking, which discloses how little I understand of these things.
>
> I am using Fedora Core 3.
>
> I had installed on my system for some time two RPM packages, python-2.3.4-13.1.i386.rpm and dbus-python-0.22-10.FC3.2.i386.rpm. The second package contained six files: dbus.py, dbus.pyc, dbus.pyo, dbus_bindings.a, dbus_bindings.la and dbus_bindings.so. Those six files were installed in the directory /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages.
>
> A while ago, I needed to install python2.4, since it was required for some application I wanted to try. I did so without uninstalling python2.3, so that I now had two versions of python on my system. The application worked satisfactorily.
>
> Now I want to try another application that requires, not only python2.4, but also dbus-python.
>
> According to my feeble understanding of these matters, that means that I'll have to get into /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages the same six files that I now have in /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages.
>
> I believe that it will not be sufficient merely to copy the six files in /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages to /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages.
>
> I had hoped that I might be able to get the relevant files into /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages by downloading a source rpm for dbus-python, editing the spec file to nominate the directory I wanted the six files to be installed into and then building an rpm. However, I couldn't find a source rpm for dbus-python only. All I could find was one which would build an rpm containing a considerable number of dbus files and I didn't know what damage I might wreak by installing that rpm.
>
> My question therefore is how do I get working versions of the the six relevant files into /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages?

That is an extremely old version of D-Bus.  Are you sure your python 2.4
app will work with that version?  Between D-Bus 0.2x and D-Bus 0.3x
there were huge changes.  Newer versions of the bindings won't work with
a D-Bus that old.  In fact each version of the bindings were pretty much
tied to the version of D-Bus running on the system until recently when
we got API/ABI stability.  I would try just copying the python files to
the 2.4 directory and see if that works.