dbus-sysdeps-unix.h

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Sat Sep 16 01:24:12 PDT 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> For people working on the Windows port - I think it's important not to
> take UNIX emulation too far. For example, the unix: addresses should
> fail on Windows, i.e. don't try to emulate
> dbus_(connect,listen)_unix_socket on Windows. Instead, a
> Windows-specific appropriate mechanism should be used, whatever it is.
> Maybe Windows always uses tcp: for now.

Replacing _dbus_connect_unix_socket with a pure
windows-specific version seems to enforce to
change the whole DBusTransport infrastructure:

- transport.h is full of _unix functions
- transport.c uses transport-unix.h and
  dbus-transport-protected.h,  both unix
  specific files

So I don't see a way to implement a clean windows
version without touching all the code of DBusTransport,
the current design is too unix centric.

To have a clean windows port we must have no _unix
functions in all non unix header/soucre files, but
this is maybe an item for D-Bus 2.0. :)

Peter