Session dbus-daemons not killed after logout

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Feb 5 06:28:41 PST 2007

Jan Houtsma wrote:
> Well, still when i change in /etc/passwd the shell from /bin/zsh into
> /bin/bash, the problem disappears. When changing back to /bin/zsh, the
> dbus-daemon doesn't exit when the X-server resets. So well, yea, it
> should trigger on X maybe or on *either* shell exiting this X-server
> runs by.

What I'm saying is, there are two mechanisms for killing the daemon:
  1) losing the controlling terminal (shell could affect this)
  2) losing the X server (don't see how shell could affect this)

2) is the one I expect to be more robust and reliable. I don't see how
it could be zsh-related, though anything is possible.

So I would first debug what's going wrong with 2), and only then try to
figure out the probably-complicated-and-bizarre difference between bash
and zsh with respect to 1). 1) probably isn't useful in this context anyway.

My theory is that 2) is somehow broken, maybe in dbus or maybe in the
way it's run on the system; and that is causing 1) to matter, while
usually 1) should not matter.