Question on service activation

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Feb 23 11:43:22 PST 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 19:59, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > 3) via daemon, by way of automatic aliasing: the daemon bestows the
> > shared name automatically on the application as soon as it registers
> > another well-known name. That is, given two email applications
> > org.kde.kmail and org.gnome.evolution, the user configuration states
> > that "org.freedesktop.email is an alias to org.gnome.evolution". If the
> > user starts both apps, as soon as Evolution requests its WK name, the bus
> > automatically bestows upon Evolution the fd.o alias. Neither KMail nor
> > Evolution need to know that they are the default.
>
> This sounds really nice, I hadn't thought of this approach. This
> requires no work at all in the apps, and would be simple to implement in
> the daemon.

I also like this approach.

Referring to your (Havoc's and Thiago's) thread on AddActivatableService,
there will already be one application which is allowed to change the bus'
activation data. This same daemon could also add the aliases, maybe even
within the same call.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring