Question on service activation

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Feb 23 12:35:03 PST 2007

Kevin Krammer wrote:
>Referring to your (Havoc's and Thiago's) thread on
> AddActivatableService, there will already be one application which is
> allowed to change the bus' activation data. This same daemon could also
> add the aliases, maybe even within the same call.

I'm thinking we could use the same .service files and same
AddActivatableService infrastructure.

Instead of:
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.freedesktop.Email
Exec=/usr/bin/userschoice

We'd have:
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.freedesktop.Email
Alias=org.example.MailApplication

And using the same a{ss} approach I suggested for AddActivatableService,
it would suffice to send the keys of Name and Alias, instead of Name and
Exec.

The D-Bus policy files should be enough to enforce policy, if required.
I.e., the policy can be configured so that only one app is allowed to
make the calls to the Activatable Service infrastructure -- which I'd
like to move to another interface -- and to make sure that no one is
allowed to directly request the aliased bus names.

PS: I don't think we should restrict the owning. If an application really
wants to acquire the shared name, I don't see why we should forbid it.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358