Question on service activation

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Feb 23 13:54:00 PST 2007

Kevin Krammer wrote:
>and additionally
>
>kontact-email.service
>[D-BUS Service]
>Name=org.freedesktop.EMail
>Alias=org.kde.Kontact
>
>repeating the same for kontact-contacts.service,
> kontact-calendar.service, kontact-notes.service, ...

No, I don't think it should install those files. Many applications
installing aliases would just confuse D-Bus and would be a problem with
setting defaults.

Which in turn leads me to:

>IMHO we should rather have an API where an application can ask to be
> made the default, so the API can be implemented as a GUI asking the
> user.

I have no idea how that API would be. One thing that puzzles me to this
day is how the default application for a given MIME type is selected.
Applications declare that they support a given MIME type, but how does
one of them get selected above others?

Maybe we could use some of those ideas here. But if this gets too complex,
we'll need to move it off the daemon.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358