Question on service activation

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Feb 23 13:43:10 PST 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 21:35, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> >Referring to your (Havoc's and Thiago's) thread on
> > AddActivatableService, there will already be one application which is
> > allowed to change the bus' activation data. This same daemon could also
> > add the aliases, maybe even within the same call.
>
> I'm thinking we could use the same .service files and same
> AddActivatableService infrastructure.
>
> Instead of:
> [D-BUS Service]
> Name=org.freedesktop.Email
> Exec=/usr/bin/userschoice
>
> We'd have:
> [D-BUS Service]
> Name=org.freedesktop.Email
> Alias=org.example.MailApplication

So as an example this would be: a package installing Kontact would install the
following .service files:

kontact.service
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.kde.Kontact
Exec=/usr/bin/kontact

and additionally

kontact-email.service
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.freedesktop.EMail
Alias=org.kde.Kontact

repeating the same for kontact-contacts.service, kontact-calendar.service,
kontact-notes.service, ...

> PS: I don't think we should restrict the owning. If an application really
> wants to acquire the shared name, I don't see why we should forbid it.

IMHO we should rather have an API where an application can ask to be made the
default, so the API can be implemented as a GUI asking the user.

But if you (meaning those with more knowledge about bus internals) think this
would make it extra ordinary difficult, I'd settle for a predefined
excuse^Wexplanation we can tell users when their preference have been changed
behind their back.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring