debugging the protocol

Simon Burton simon at arrowtheory.com
Thu Jun 14 19:32:55 PDT 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 19:35:46 -0400
Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Simon Burton wrote:
> > One thing I am curious about. The actual message body is not
> > null padded. This means when we get multiple messages from one
> > network read, we may get mis-aligned messages. In my code I detect
> > this situation and just copy the message to an 8-byte aligned
> > location. Wouldn't it make more sense to pad each message so
> > we don't have this problem ?
> >

> Probably, but it's too late to change due to back compat issues.

Well, i'm using libdbus, sniffing the wire and looking at hexdumps. I can see
padding between some of the messages, and that padding makes the next message 8 byte aligned,
but not every message has this padding. And it seems that when my own implementation
does not reproduce the exact same "random" padding dbus-daemon hangs up.

so, i'm flumoxed.

Simon.