debugging the protocol

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Fri Jun 15 01:39:46 PDT 2007

On Thu Jun 14 19:32, Simon Burton wrote:

> Well, i'm using libdbus, sniffing the wire and looking at hexdumps. I can see
> padding between some of the messages, and that padding makes the next message 8 byte aligned,
> but not every message has this padding. And it seems that when my own implementation
> does not reproduce the exact same "random" padding dbus-daemon hangs up.

It depends on the types in the message. Some are padded, some are
aligned, if there's no message body they header is padded and so on. It
should all be in http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html

If you want another datapoint, feel free to look at the Java
implementation. The code is in org/freedesktop/dbus/Message.java

Matt
--
www.matthew.ath.cx
D-Bus Java