win32 patch dbus_watch_get_handle patch

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 13:06:53 PDT 2007

Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Havoc Pennington schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ralf Habacker wrote:
>>>       _dbus_handle_to_socket(watch->fd,&p);
>>
>> I would think we can just get rid of this now and pass sockets around
>> as sockets. Pretty much all the socket-related code is cross-platform.
>> Any reason why not?
> Because this depends on the runtime type information stuff (internal
> handle) we had implemented around the DBusSocket stuff at your advice.

Does the reason for that still exist? At this point we have refactored
all the cross-platform code so it no longer (I don't think) mixes tcp
sockets with other types of unix fds; the critical codepaths are
sockets-only and the other types of fds would be unix-only. We also
introduced DBusPipe to hold pipes.

The DBusSocket struct in sysdeps-win.h still has comments about
emulating unix domain sockets but that should no longer be necessary
since we moved the unix domain socket code to unix-only files.

One of the older ideas was to create a stream/file/socket abstraction,
but what we ended up doing instead was to avoid unifying those and just
have separate sysdeps.h APIs for each type of thing (files, pipes, sockets)