win32 authentifaction problems after implementing new dbus authentification update

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Thu Jun 21 12:50:02 PDT 2007

Ralf Habacker writes:
 > According to http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-common
 > user sid's are system specific which means there is no public uniq sid
 > for root/administrator available, so we can take any string.

Some well-known SIDs *are* the same on all machines, though. For
instance S-1-5-32-544 is the local Administrators group. (I quote MSDN:
    A revision level of 1
    An identifier-authority value of 5 (SECURITY_NT_AUTHORITY)
    A first subauthority value of 32 (SECURITY_BUILTIN_DOMAIN_RID)
    A second subauthority value of 544 (DOMAIN_ALIAS_RID_ADMINS)
)

The local Administrator account doesn't seem to have a fixed SID,
though, presumably because the account as such that is magical and
privileged, but its privileges comes from the fact that it belongs to
the Administrators group. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

--tml