I can't Trolltech's D-BUS Definition.

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon May 14 16:53:27 EEST 2007

Lim,GeunSik said:
> Hello, I am using dbus-0.61-3 at fedora core 5 now. Recently, I wondered
> about dbus's definition.
> Because Trolltech said that D-BUS is an Inter-Process Communication(IPC)
> and RPC using below website.
> Is it correct Really? I can not understand Definition that Trotech wrote.
> Please, Can anyone explaind about definition of D-bus exactly?

D-Bus is an interprocess communication system. It says so in our website:

"D-Bus is a message bus system, a simple way for applications to talk to
one another. In addition to interprocess communication [...]"

Since D-Bus is geared towards method calls, method returns, etc., it can
also be described as a Remote Procedure Calling mechanism. (Remote as in
"another application", not necessarily in another computer, but that's
possible too).

Therefore, I define D-Bus as an IPC/RPC system.

> * http://doc.trolltech.com/4.2/intro-to-dbus.html
> Introduction
> D-BUS is an Inter-Process Communication (IPC) and Remote Procedure Calling
> (RPC) mechanism
> originally developed for Linux to replace existing and competing IPC
> solutions with one
> unified protocol. It has also been designed to allow communication between
> system-level
> processes (such as printer and hardware driver services) and normal user
> processes.

I wrote that.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358