D-Bus core due for a release?

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu May 17 03:28:37 PDT 2007

Havoc Pennington schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Simon McVittie wrote:
>
>> We haven't had a release for over 5 months, and the patches are starting
>> to build up... in particular, for Telepathy's Tubes technology
>> (particularly on the OLPC) it would be useful to have a stable release
>> that includes the message marshal/unmarshal support. dbus-1.1.0, anyone?
>> (Or 1.0.3, if that's preferred... I'm slightly unclear on the versioning
>> policy used.)
>>

> For major.minor.micro, odd minor = unstable/beta, even minor =
> stable/frozen.
>
> 1.0.x = current stable branch, bugfixes only
> 1.1.x = pre-release snapshots for 1.2.x, here we put new features
> 1.2.x = future stable release (not yet made)
>

>> I'm happy to do the release building/tagging/etc. if necessary.
>>

> That would be cool. There are instructions for this in HACKING iirc (if
> there are gaps in the instructions, please get them filled in before
> acting).
>

>> Changes include:
>>
>> Features:
>> * D-Bus message <-> byte array marshalling/unmarshalling as public API
>>

> This would be a 1.2 feature. Right now I think it's the only new feature
> pretty much that would really lead to a 1.2, so I'm not sure a 1.2
> release is worth it yet; but doing a 1.1.x is worthwhile anyway.
>
> The original 1.2 dream was win32 port and system bus activation, but
> both of those are moving much too slowly to get to 1.2 anytime soon, afaik.

The recent win32 dbus efforts are initiated because dbus is a KDE
requirement and in the recent state it is usable by many KDE users
without any problems. Contribution to the win32 dbus code in relation to
KDE would come only if there are issues with recent code. I got only a
very few bug reports mostly caused by an outdated version.  In fact also
developers working for trolltech told me, that dbus win32 works fine
with Qt.
I personally recognized that dbus has connection problems running on
windows 2003 server but noone else reported this too, so I assume no
else needs this.
Additional for KDE win32 there are much more annoying building sites,
which requires all available time of the developers.

I think more contributions will come if dbus would be used by other
applications. I think that win32 binary releases on freedesktop may be
help to attract other developers. Is there a place to put such packages
on freedesktop org ?