Dbus session daemon and remote DISPLAY

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu May 17 08:25:08 PDT 2007

Hi,

Grahame Bowland wrote:

> The trouble is that people are logging in (and exporting DISPLAY back
> to their X terminal) on these machines just to run a single program.
> They're not logging in via a session manager, and that mode of login
> doesn't seem applicable.

Sure, but dbus-launch can still be used in the login script. Granted, in
this case it probably doesn't make a difference. But dbus-launch does
try to kill the daemon when the tty closes, if there is no display when
it is run, though I'm not sure how reliable that feature is.

> I'm a little worried that a "suicide mode" might break a running app
> that expects the dbus server to be there, but isn't actually sending
> any messages over the bus. I'll try and draft a patch and put it in
> bugzilla - presumably the daemon knows if t here are any connections
> to it actually open. Perhaps valid logic would be to quit if there are
> no active connections and the server has been inactive some period of
> time.

Exactly right, this would be the perfect patch. The daemon should not
exit if stuff is connected to it.

This does create a secondary tier of bugs - daemons connected to the
daemon that don't themselves have "suicide mode" - but we can deal with
those as they arise ;-)

> As an aside, is there any useful way the remote program can just use
> the dbus daemon on the "server" side (eg. whatever server is on
> DISPLAY). Looking at the code that'd work as long as the DBUS server
> had the same UUID as whatever's configured in the DBUS UUID config
> file.. is there any way to tell dbus autolaunch not to care about
> UUIDs?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. I think autolaunch
autolaunches only one session daemon per (machine,display) pair right
now, no?