D-Bus core due for a release?

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Fri May 18 06:59:05 PDT 2007

On Wed, 16 May 2007 at 14:41:29 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Simon McVittie wrote:
> >We haven't had a release for over 5 months, and the patches are starting
> >to build up...
> For major.minor.micro, odd minor = unstable/beta, even minor =
> stable/frozen.
>
> 1.0.x = current stable branch, bugfixes only
> 1.1.x = pre-release snapshots for 1.2.x, here we put new features
> 1.2.x = future stable release (not yet made)

OK, in that case it looks as though 1.1.0 is long overdue.

> >* allow eavesdropping on method replies on the session bus, making
> >  dbus-monitor a substantially better debug tool
> >* add daemondir to .pc file
>
> These should both be backported to 1.0.x if it was not done at commit
> time (people keep failing to do this, bad people), and we should do a
> 1.0.x with these in it.

Is there a designated stable release manager? If not, perhaps reviewers
could comment on whether things are suitable for both 1.0.x and 1.1.x,
or just for 1.0.x?

Here's the report just from comparing ChangeLog - I hope each commit
has actually updated it!

Candidates for inclusion in 1.0.x:

* .add daemondir to pc file
* Do not accept zero-length address when parsing
* Add eavesdrop support for replies on session buses (improves dbus-monitor)
* tools/dbus-launch.c do_close_stderr: fix C89 problem
* tools/dbus-print-message.c: print "in reply to" serial numbers

* spec: mention reserved o.fd.DBus.Local interface, etc.
* tutorial: remove Python section, point to dbus-python's tutorial

Possibly candidates for inclusion:

* 2006-12-19 patch from Ray Strode: don't exit() daemon on failure to
  reload config on SIGHUP; instead carry on as before

Future things for 1.1.x:

* lots of Win32 and cmake stuff
* dbus_message_marshal, _unmarshal
* add user database

> >* possibly the user database (it's unclear whether this made it into 1.0.2)
>
> Not sure I remember the current state here, but I thought there was a
> patch that needed some performance testing before we put it in.

Is this "before we put it in a stable release" or "before we put it in a
devel release"? If the latter, I'm rather surprised it's in HEAD at
all...

	Simon