D-Bus core due for a release?

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon May 21 09:27:57 PDT 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007 at 14:59:05 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> Here's the report just from comparing ChangeLog - I hope each commit
> has actually updated it!

I've verified (by reading the dbus-commit@ archives) that all the
commits that didn't update ChangeLog were trivial, up to and including
my spec commit today (no NULs in strings). This would all be a lot easier
if we were using git (like the bindings do), or indeed any VCS with a concept
of changesets...

> Candidates for inclusion in 1.0.x:
>
> * .add daemondir to pc file
> * Do not accept zero-length address when parsing
> * Add eavesdrop support for replies on session buses (improves dbus-monitor)
> * tools/dbus-launch.c do_close_stderr: fix C89 problem
> * tools/dbus-print-message.c: print "in reply to" serial numbers
>
> * spec: mention reserved o.fd.DBus.Local interface, etc.
> * tutorial: remove Python section, point to dbus-python's tutorial

... to which I'd add all the patches I've sent for review today. Havoc
or other reviewer types, do you have any objection to merging any of
these to the 1.0.x branch?

> Possibly candidates for inclusion:
>
> * 2006-12-19 patch from Ray Strode: don't exit() daemon on failure to
>   reload config on SIGHUP; instead carry on as before

Views?

> Future things for 1.1.x:
>
> * lots of Win32 and cmake stuff
> * dbus_message_marshal, _unmarshal
> * add user database

Are any of these things so broken that they are blockers for 1.1.0? AIUI
we don't officially support Windows/cmake builds, the D-Bus message
marshal/unmarshal is used (as a backport onto 1.0.2) by OLPC and works
fine, and the user database is an internal implementation detail so can
be reverted without any externally noticeable change.

Also, are any of these pending-merge changes blockers for a 1.1.0
release, or can I go ahead with that and worry about stable releases
later?

I'll make sure the current CVS HEAD passes distcheck and send in any
necessary patches.

	Simon