org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable

Steve Kreyer steve.kreyer at web.de
Sat May 26 06:10:07 PDT 2007

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Steve Kreyer wrote:
>
>> Now Iam totally confused :-) I requested the method like you suggested:
>> dbus-send --print-reply --dest=my.domain.program /path/to/myobject
>> org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable.Introspect
>> and the reply are the "raw interface definitions" of the interfaces
>> which are supported by myobject + the spec of Introspectable.Introspect.
>> But it seems that it doesn't care whether myobject  supports and
>> implements the method org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable.Introspect
>> explicitly or not. So I ask  myself if any object, which registers to
>> the bus, gets an implementation of
>> org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable.Introspect automatically in any way?
>>

> First of all, objects do not register. At least, not if you look into the
> protocol itself.
>
> Applications (connections) register. They register "bus names", or more
> simply "names".
>
> However, bindings have borrows the concept of "registering" to objects. In
> bindings, you register an object so that it is available under a given
> object path over D-Bus. But mind you, the action of registering an object
> in a binding carries out absolutely no action at the protocol level:
> neither the bus daemon nor other programs get to know what happens.

So does this mean that the addressing of an object via the object path
depends on the binding which is used, and is not a part of the lower
based protocol?
> Now, you did not mention any binding in your original email or your new
> one. But given that you're so lost, yet your objects seem to be
> introspectable, you are probably using a binding. Which one, you have to
> tell us.
> In any case, a binding's job is to provide many of the facilities required
> to interoperate properly with other D-Bus clients. One of such tasks is
> to reply to Introspect requests with the proper XML, generated from the
> object's actual content.

Sorry, I wasn't aware about the neccessary differentiation of binding
vs. protocol on this issue. Iam using the glib-binding.
So if I understand you right, the binding makes my object introspectable
and does the job for me. So this is comfortable to me, because I haven't
take care about it :-)

Regards,
Steve