org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat May 26 05:15:36 PDT 2007

Steve Kreyer wrote:
>Now Iam totally confused :-) I requested the method like you suggested:
>dbus-send --print-reply --dest=my.domain.program /path/to/myobject
>org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable.Introspect
>and the reply are the "raw interface definitions" of the interfaces
>which are supported by myobject + the spec of Introspectable.Introspect.
>But it seems that it doesn't care whether myobject  supports and
>implements the method org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable.Introspect
>explicitly or not. So I ask  myself if any object, which registers to
>the bus, gets an implementation of
>org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable.Introspect automatically in any way?

First of all, objects do not register. At least, not if you look into the
protocol itself.

Applications (connections) register. They register "bus names", or more
simply "names".

However, bindings have borrows the concept of "registering" to objects. In
bindings, you register an object so that it is available under a given
object path over D-Bus. But mind you, the action of registering an object
in a binding carries out absolutely no action at the protocol level:
neither the bus daemon nor other programs get to know what happens.

Now, you did not mention any binding in your original email or your new
one. But given that you're so lost, yet your objects seem to be
introspectable, you are probably using a binding. Which one, you have to
tell us.

In any case, a binding's job is to provide many of the facilities required
to interoperate properly with other D-Bus clients. One of such tasks is
to reply to Introspect requests with the proper XML, generated from the
object's actual content.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358