using dbus in the platform

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Oct 18 13:37:22 PDT 2007

Hi,

Alp Toker wrote:
> API goals like "manage the screensaver" simply fall outside of GTK+'s
> job description. I don't think you understand the diversity of scenarios
>   GTK+ is used in.

I wrote large parts of GTK. I have been involved with it (and the gnome
libraries) since at least 1999, helped all kinds of people with
questions on gtk-list well before that, when GNOME barely existed, and
have read hundreds (perhaps thousands) of GTK bugs, from all kinds of
developers doing all kinds of things.

I have had as much part as anyone in *choosing* the "job description" of
GTK+ 2.x; though many people have been and are involved. And I've
probably *answered* more mail and bugs from people using it for
non-GNOME scenarios than you have even *read*.

To avoid digging into your mail in detail, I'll just summarize:

First, a soft runtime dependency can do different things (sometimes
amounting to ENOSYS) on platforms (perhaps NDesk) where a particular
action does not make sense. If NDesk is enough different from the
GNOME/KDE/XFCE setup, then GTK+ would have to treat it like Windows or
another platform, perhaps not using dbus there, rather than treating all
X11 scenarios the same. However, when porting GTK to the GNOME/KDE/XFCE
type of platform, the way you do certain things is dbus. That is the
platform API, in the same way that X11 is.

Second, as I said before, it is wrong to think of GTK as a UI toolkit
only. The goal for many years has been to incorporate a more complete
application framework. That's the premise of "Project Ridley" and the
idea of nuking libgnome and libgnomeui. You may wish this were not the
plan, but it has been the apparent consensus for some time, and it is
hardly unprecedented (for example
http://doc.trolltech.com/qtopia4.2/qt4-2-intro.html#desktop-integration
from a quick google search). If you want to defend the libgnome* setup,
feel free, but it really is not a dbus-specific discussion, and there's
plenty of debate in the archives going back years if you're interested.