Problem using the latest D-Bus enabled GDM on Solaris

Brian Cameron Brian.Cameron at Sun.COM
Fri Sep 7 15:24:11 PDT 2007

I've been trying to get the latest veresion of D-Bus enabled GDM to
work on Solaris, but it seems to be failing with a D-Bus related error.
I'm not sure what the problem is, and I'm hoping someone might be able
to provide some advice about how to further debug and look into this.

In the debug log GDM sends to syslog, I see the following D-Bus related
error messages:

Sep  5 17:12:57 brianca gdm-simple-slave[21301]: [ID 702911 daemon.warning]
       DEBUG: obj_path=/org/gnome/DisplayManager/GreeterServer
       interface=org.gnome.DisplayManager.GreeterServer method=GetDisplayId
Sep  5 17:12:57 brianca gdm-session-worker[21335]: [ID 702911 daemon.warning]
       DEBUG: connecting to address:
       unix:path=/tmp/dbus-NZVajPMdCn,guid=aa76d498af6a38a1f31def0046df29e9
Sep  5 17:12:57 brianca gdm-simple-greeter[21330]: [ID 702911 daemon.warning]
       WARNING: Unable to GetDisplayId: Connection was disconnected before a
       reply was received
Sep  5 17:12:57 brianca gdm-session-worker[21335]: [ID 702911 daemon.warning]
       WARNING: error opening connection: Failed to connect to socket
      /tmp/dbus-NZVajPMdCn: Connection refused

I notice the perms on the /tmp/dbus-* file is as follows:

srwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           0 Sep  5 17:12 dbus-NZVajPMdCn

I'm not sure what would cause this sort of problem.  I guess I'd expect
something like this if one of the two processes happened to crash?  Or
is this perhaps because D-Bus might not be properly configured to allow
this type of connection?  I note that the simple-greeter is making this
call to get DisplayId:

         res = dbus_g_proxy_call (server_proxy,
                                  "GetDisplayId",
                                  &error,
                                  G_TYPE_INVALID,
                                  DBUS_TYPE_G_OBJECT_PATH, &id,
                                  G_TYPE_INVALID);

Is there anything I can do to enable more debug information from D-Bus?

Brian