dbus: Proposed relicense to MIT/X11

Ryan Lortie desrt at desrt.ca
Thu Sep 13 13:09:06 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-13-09 at 21:48 +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> That's a fallacy.
>
> GPLv3 applications can use D-Bus because it's licensed "GPL version 2 or
> any later version".

(quoting the toplevel COPYING) file from the dbus distribution:

D-Bus is licensed to you under your choice of the Academic Free
License version 2.1, or the GNU General Public License version 2.

I'd take this to mean that, as a package, dbus is licensed under the
GPLv2.

There is also the case (that I excluded simply because it is much more
complicated) of applications like Rhythmbox which are GPL+exceptions.

These programs can't take dbus under GPL (any version) since GPL is
incompatible with GPL+exceptions (and _definitely_ incompatible with the
binary modules that they pull in).  They also can't take it under AFL
since that's also incompatible with GPL+exceptions.