DBus over the network; clustered machines acting as one; service discovery

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 18:57:30 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Shawn Rutledge
<shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Avery Pennarun <apenwarr at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  Yes, WvDbusd is an alternative to dbus-daemon which supports DBus over
>  >  TCP and SSL.  We plan to add Avahi (or some other kind of) service
>  >  location within the next few months.
>
>  Sounds cool.  Google didn't find much though, just some messages about this
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/versaplex/
>
>  but is wvdbusd usable by itself?  Are you going to spin it off as a
>  separate project?

Yeah, unfortunately our documentation is in a really sorry state.  The
actual project you want is wvstreams
(http://code.google.com/p/wvstreams) which is used by versaplex.
wvdbusd definitely works standalone and the code is much easier to
work with than dbus-daemon -- if you like C++, that is.

>  Well I found the Introspectable interface, but then you just have to
>  parse the XML.  It's cool that it is there, though.

The XML is a bit of a strangeness, when the dbus message/struct format
was already a perfectly good way to encode things.  But that's how it
is.  In any case, there are already tools for browsing a bus and
parsing the XML and calling things; all you need to provide is the
system to bridge the buses together and proxy messages back and forth,
and the method/object level stuff is handled already.

Have fun,

Avery