New patch submission guidelines for D-Bus Core

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Wed Apr 16 13:20:04 PDT 2008

At some point I'll put this into HACKING but I just got the ok from
Havoc to drop the requirement for ChangeLog entries.  What this means is
every patch must be checked into your tree with a commit message in the
same ChangeLog format minus the date stamp line.  You must then submit
the patch in git format as such:

git-format-patch origin

That will output any local commits you have.

Major patches must go into bugzilla and commit message should reference
that bug. To replay your last commit so you can edit the commit message
you can run this command:

git-commit --amend

That will allow you to edit your last commit message.  If you have more
than one commit to edit it is pretty hacky but you can output your
formatted patches, use git-reset to reset your tree to the commit before
your first patch, edit the the commit messages by hand in the patches
and use git-am to apply them back to your tree.  There may be an easier
way to do this but I haven't really looked into it.

This will hopefully save me time when applying patches for a release as
I can review it, patch it in, run it and either push it or back it out
without much issues.

Thanks.