D-Bus Activation Problem...

Gökçen Eraslan gokcen at pardus.org.tr
Tue Apr 29 00:11:12 PDT 2008

On Friday 25 April 2008 13:43:38 Simon McVittie wrote:

> You've probably implemented it subtly wrong. The correct sequence for an
> activatable service is:
>
> * set up whatever object paths are guaranteed to exist at startup for the
>   service you're implementing
> * *then and only then*, request your well-known bus name ("service name")
>
> Starting from the moment when you're given the well-known name, clients
> can call your methods (and if you were activated by a method call, that
> method call will almost certainly be the next thing off your incoming
> message queue). A lot of people get this wrong.

Changing the object exporting and name request order as you said didn't change
anything, but setting up objects first seems right.

Our problem is perhaps about the qt3 binding we use. Binding's own DBus
service example[1] has the same problem as ours when it is started via
activation. (Changing the object setup and name request order does not fix
the problem also.)

[1]
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/dbus-qt4-qt3backport/examples/example-service.cpp?view=markup

--