Disconnection caused by byte order problem (DBUS_INVALID_BAD_BYTE_ORDER)

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Thu Aug 14 12:07:26 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 2:00 AM, No-Joon Park <nojoon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm calling dbus_connection_send_with_reply_and_block() for
> communicating dbus-daemon.
> But occasionally the connection is disconnected.
> By tracing the dbus library source code, I found that there is a
> problem of byte order. (DBUS_INVALID_BAD_BYTE_ORDER)
>
> I don't know what to do about this disconnection caused by byte order problem.
>
> Any suggestions?

Should not be possible unless the dbus protocol implementation is
broken or somehow interfered with.

Is there anything unusual that could be happening?
* unusual type of processor or compiler?
* could the application be overwriting memory it should not be touching?
* some unusual type of socket or connection transport?
* writing to the dbus file descriptor from outside of libdbus?

It is difficult for anyone to help debug unless you can provide a way
to reproduce the problem, like a simple compilable test case.