Default search path for .service files of the session bus

Holger Berndt berndth at gmx.de
Sat Aug 16 03:05:04 PDT 2008

Hello D-Bus people,

I've been wondering what the exact default search path for
.service files of the session bus is. This part is missing (marked as
FIXME) in the documentation under
http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#message-bus-types

Personally, I think the search should first look in the user's home
directory, maybe $HOME/.dbus/services before looking
into /usr/share/dbus-1/services.

Say I want a service for starting a text editor. Obviously, every user
will want his own choice of editor - so it's basically not possible to
have a session bus service for that.

I understand that this could be configured (with root priviledges)
in /etc/dbus-1/session.conf -- but that means that application
developers cannot rely on this (non-standard) behavior.

Holger