Stupid Compile Question

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Feb 25 10:20:00 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 06:27 -0800, Thanh Tran wrote:
> I'm trying to compile some sample code.  It seems to
> be missing some header files.  It fails at
>
> #include <dbus/dbus.h>
>
> However, I ran top and it looks like the d-bus service
> is running.  I thought the Dbus API would come with
> the service.  Do I need to install a separate lib?  If
> so, where can I download it?  Thanks.

If you got D-Bus from your distribution then there should be a
dbus-devel or dbus-dev package for all the development files.  Users
don't need their machines to be cluttered with development files so they
are usually shipped separate.  If you compiled D-Bus and installed it
yourself make sure you are pointing gcc to the files.  D-Bus uses
package config so this is easy:

gcc `pkg-config --libs --cflags dbus-1` -o myapp myapp.c