[ANNOUNCE] D-Bus 1.1.4 (1.2.0RC2) - "Opps, I did it again" released

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Wed Jan 23 14:48:30 PST 2008

Olivier Hochreutiner wrote:
>> Depends on the Windows port maintainers.  A decision was made not to
>> wait for them as the UNIX port needs the system activation feature to
>> support a lot of the future Linux infrastructure.  Under Linux D-Bus is
>> a vital part of the core system.  That is not to say I wouldn't release
>> a 1.2.1 just for windows support but we are not going to block on it.
>> If the Windows port ever stabilizes we would be happy to coordinate
>> releases.
>
> I see. Actually my point was to have a 1.2.0 version that at least
> compiles under Windows, but I guess making a version 1.2.1 is fine
> too. This way there should be more time to test and polish things.
> BTW, Peter, Ralf, is there a TODO list for the Windows port ?
>
> Olivier

Hi Oliver,

the status is as follows:

In sourceforge's /windbus/trunk is the last working version
of windbus, with the last update to the official code at July 2005:
http://windbus.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/windbus/trunk/CVS/?view=log&pathrev=724

Now it has some new patches (cvs diff) which are maybe already upstream.

Additional to the file dbus-win.patch which is part of git-dbus, there is the
file DBus-win32.patch which is also needed to have a running win port.
But maybe you know all this stuff.

In windbus/branches/sync is the attempt to update the code
to the cvs-dbus from Aug 11. 2007:
http://windbus.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/windbus?view=rev&revision=744

We have not managed it to make this upgrade work. Mainly because of some
new stuff in the cvs code.

Currently there is no TODO list, but following is TO DO ;)

- Patch the actual freedesktop-dbus code with dbus-win.patch, DBus-win32.patch,
   cvs diff in trunk, and maybe some patches from /branches/sync; and get all
   tests working
- replace the CVS code in our svn with git, or create somewhere a git repo with
   a win32 branch (e.g. branch on freedesktop's git or at repo.or.cz)

I think ATM it is more important to have working patches somewhere (dbus-win.patch,
svn, git branch, ore alternative repository git) than to get all our patches upstream.

I don't know if your posted patch is enough, but when you could run all the tests
successfully then I think it is good enough. If not, you could have a look at
all the other patches and check, if they are still needed or are obsolete now.

Cheers,
Peter