Connect to a Session Bus without starting a X Session

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Jul 10 04:30:11 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 7:22 AM, hannehomuth <hannehomuth1 at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm still at implementing my own Dbus Service. I wanna set some Text on an
> LCD Display. I've tried first with a socket server written in Java and it
> works. But now I shall do it with Dbus. I've implemented all classes in
> Java
> on a Linux Machine on which it seems to work, if it had such an display on
> this machine. But when I try to run my Dbus service on the target machine,
> which has no X window, only Console, I get an DbusExecption : Cannot
> resolve
> Session Bus Address.
>
> I looked at the running processes and there is the dbus-deamon running!

Hi,

On a modern Free desktop system, there are two instances of dbus-daemon.
One is the system bus, and one is the session bus.  The session bus is
associated with a desktop login session generally.

Is this LCD display something like the Logitech G15 keyboard, or is it an
embedded system?  In either case what you likely want to do is put your DBus
service on the *system* bus, not the session.

Once it's on the system bus, if this is targeted for a normal desktop system
I would use PolicyKit (http://hal.freedesktop.org/do
cs/PolicyKit/) to control access to it.  If it's an embedded system, I
assume you're running most code as root; in that case just let root write to
the service via a conf file in /etc/dbus-1/system.d.