Issues while using DBus over TCP

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Wed Jul 30 05:04:18 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 4:42 AM, remya soman <remyasomancs at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have an application running on a Linux PC (server) and it exports certain
> APIs for setting some parameters of the application.
> The user interface (GUI) for setting the options can run on the same m/c or
> on a remote m/c. This user interface will be provided the server IP address
> on startup.
> The parameters selected by the user will be set using the interfaces
> exported by the server application.
> No authentication is required as of now.
>

> The same thing could be achieved using a proprietary kind of communication.
> We would like to know whether DBUS will be a right option for that.

If you never want any authentication, you could write a custom
DBusServer (dbus-daemon does not make sense here) to do this. If you
want authentication, it would be tricky to use dbus.

dbus seems better than a hand-rolled custom protocol, but it might be
easier to do this with Apache and mod_python or mod_perl or something
like that, just using JSON or XML-RPC or other trivial http protocol.